Friday, March 19, 2010

I'll Fly Away


Our dear friends, Nick and Elaine are both in heaven now, free from the pain of cancer.
Nick Barker was our dear friend and a prayer partner of Henry's for many years. They met on Thursday mornings at 6:30 a.m. at Starbucks along with several other men. He died of cancer on Christmas Eve.
Elaine, his wife was diagnosed with cancer months after her husband. She was also our friend. Elaine and I struggled with other similar health issues that bonded us together and we both shared a love for the LORD and gardening. She died on St. Patrick's Day.
We were at the hospital just 3 nights before she died. We sang some hymns and some bluegrass songs together. Elaine was very weak and could no longer eat but she crawled out of her hospital bed and stood beside us, joining in praising the LORD together.
As we sang "I'll Fly away, O glory, I'll fly away..." we reminded each other of the promise and hope of heaven we have in trusting Jesus.

"Christ be with me,Christ within me,
Christ behind me, Christ before me,
Christ beside me, Christ to win me,
Christ to comfort and Christ restore me..."

an excerpt from a prayer on St. Patrick's Breast Plate

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Wendy. Yet, I am blessed by your story of friendship and faith. God bless you all.