Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Listen for the Angels


In an Appalachian carol, "I Wonder as I Wander", the author sings of the truth that a promise of the ages comes true in unusual way...




"If Jesus had wanted for any wee thing,
a star in the sky or a bird on the wing,
or all of God's angels in heav'n for to sing,
he surely could have had it, 'cause he was the king."



To celebrate our King's birthday, Henry, Evan and I joined a large group that met in our church on Sunday night. We were divided into small groups to sing to some of the shut-in senior citizens. I wasn't sure I wanted to go this year...sometimes it's hard to get motivated. Looking back, I am so glad my husband had enough enthusiasm for the three of us since it truly was a blessing.

Our small group included little Haddon Salter, and several other adorable toddlers, several children, young families, teenagers including one who used to do solos in the Atlanta Boys Choir.
As we sang the familiar carols together for a bedridden man and tearful wife, the beauty of this special season came home to me in a powerful way. She said this was their Christmas since they wouldn't be able to attend any parties or church gatherings...she was just thankful that she was home from a month long stay in the hospital! She begged us to keep singing after we started to leave, and we were delighted to share the beautiful hymns that remind us that "this is the night of our dear Savior's birth!"

No comments: