Thursday, December 2, 2010

Advent is Here


"The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light." Isaiah 9
As we light our first advent candle, we think of our many friends who have chosen denial to self in order to serve on the mission fields across the globe. I think of Greg and Kathy Staley, our friends who serve in a school at Immanuel Mission in Sweetwater, Arizona; a land of sheep, goats and sandstorms.
I remember our two years living on the Navajo Indian reservation as tough yet such a blessing. I had many moments of homesickness. We were so far away from home and the desert landscape looked so bleak. But the warmth from praying with fellow Navajo believers was a bright light to our dreary souls. And developing friendships with faithful servants enriched our lives in countless ways.
I have been relishing the book, Out of Africa..the journals of Karen Blixen.
I so identified with this quote;
"The introduction into my life of another race, essentially different from mine,...became to me a mysterious expansion of my world. My own voice and song in life there had a second set to it and grew fuller and richer in the duet."
"What can I give Him
Poor as I am
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb
If I were a wise man
I would do my part
Oh what can I give Him?
Give Him my heart."

No comments: