Friday, May 22, 2009

Woman of Excellence

A SPECIAL LADY WITH HER NORWEGIAN COUSIN SOLVI
My mother, Evelyn Beatrice Holm Johnson turns 90 years old today! She has proved to be a woman of courage, leadership, excellence and faithfulness to the Lord as she faced many trials and joys in her life.
I remember her playing the piano in Sunday School while my father stood in front of the primary department at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, leading the children in singing hymns in praise to the Lord. This is a special legacy that my parents gave to their five children. Not only did they exemplify trusting in in the Lord with all your heart (Proverbs 3), but they enriched our lives with the many glorious hymns of the faith. How wonderful to be able to draw on the words of "Children of the Heavenly Father," "Beautiful Savior," "Savior like a Shepherd Lead Us," "Living for Jesus," and "A Mighty Fortress is our God" for hope. How quickly a phrase from an old song can lift our spirits when we feel discouraged... I'm humming the hymn, "Day by Day" as I write..."trusting in my Father's wise bestowment, I've no cause for worry or for fear."
Also the singing of carols or hymns creates a lovely way to give honor to our LORD.
My mom and dad had a loving marriage for 66 years, a blessing none of us takes for granted!
She says she's ready to join dad in heaven... but God must have something else for her to do for now, because she is still here. I agree; she is a role model to her children and grandchildren of a person who bows her will to the sovereign will of our Heavenly Father.
As the Johnson-Holm clan gather together to share in a BIG CELEBRATION, let me share the truth in the family prayer we will pray together as we hold hands...
"Feed Thy children, Father Holy,
Comfort sinners poor and lowly,
Let Thy blessing now be spoken,
on the bread before it's broken,
Let it serves us while we're living,
Health and strength to each one giving,
Till at last as saints are able
To surround Thy Heavenly Table. Amen"

No comments: