Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Prayer for Grown Sons


Since we have two grown sons plus two son -in-laws, I thought I would share this poem/prayer by Grace Noll Crowell published in a book called The Wind-Swept Harp(1946). May Jesus shine His light in their lives each day.

A PRAYER FOR GROWN SONS

They are men now, LORD, my hands at last are emptied
Of the countless tasks required for so long,
And I am helpless quite before the problems
That grown sons face. I cannot right Earth's wrongs,
Or smooth their pathways, but dear LORD, You can.
Speak to them face to face, as man to man.

I have no legacy at all to give them,
But if my prayer be answered, it will give
Them more than any wealth the world can offer.
I pray: Christ, be their friend while they live.
Walk with them should they feel they walk alone,
And make your presence known, daily, hourly, known.

Companion them. I ask for nothing greater
Then this rich blessing for these precious ones;
The (holy) companionship of Christ, a young man,
As counselor and guide to these my sons.
I loose their hands, having done all I could do,
And trust them, LORD, implicitly to You. Amen.

No comments: