Monday, August 30, 2010

A Norwegian Lutheran


Before I went to bed, I thought I would read a few pages from the current book I was enjoying. I saw this phrase on page 55 of the book, A Praying Life by Paul Miller, it made me think of my brother, Thom, who is a Norwegian Lutheran pastor. Instead, it was referring to the author of Prayer, a classic written by Ole Hallesby many years ago.
Hallesby puts the emphasis on helplessness as a perfect description of prayer. He uses the verse, "They have no wine", a statement of Mary to her son, Jesus at the wedding of Cana as an example. (John 2:3)
In times of trouble, it is easy to feel helpless and easier still to feel troubled and discouraged.
But many hymn writers have encouraged us to look to Jesus.

"Jesus I am resting, resting
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.

Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee
And Thy beauty fills my soul,
For Thy transforming power,
Thou hast made me whole.

Jesus, I am resting, resting
In the joy of what Thou art
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart."

by Jean S. Pigott

No comments: