Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May Day


Imagine my surprise when the doorbell rang and a strange man (a florist) handed me a beautiful, multi-colored basket of flowers! Our daughter in Seattle had sent them to celebrate my birthday and Mother's Day.

When our children were little, we would make up a basket of flowers from our yard and go hang the basket on Granny B's door knob. Then we would ring the doorbell and run and hide in her yard. It was a lot of fun because of course she would make a fuss over them. "These are the prettiest flowers I've ever seen" she would exclaim! And then she would invite us in for cookies and lemonade. It was a May Day tradition we carried on for many years. Good memories of a grandmother who appreciated our visits!

Can I ask you an easy question? "What woman isn't delighted to receive a gorgeous bouquet of flowers?"

I was actually going out the door to a luncheon given by my dear friend, Terry and had flowers in a vase from my garden to share with her. It made me think of that old saying, "You can't out give God."

No comments: