Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tulips and Cousin Solvi



Springtime is delightful...suddenly plants appear that you forgot existed. Red and yellow tulips nodding in the breeze by our lamp post paint a hopeful picture of warmer weather.
"Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land." Song of Songs 2:12
Another delightful surprise was the appearance of cousin Solvi from northern Norway. She was a little girl when Kristine and I made the long journey back to Brakholm, the island where my grandmother grew up. Now a lovely, young lady working in the travel industry, Solvi had the opportunity to reconnect our family on two sides of the Atlantic. My mother, my sisters, my daughters, all were educated about Torghatten, a beautiful, magical hat shaped mountain with a natural, immense hole through the middle that towers over the small island of our ancestors. Just like the tulips reminded me of bulbs I planted last fall, I now recalled the hike up the mountain and through the famous tunnel. We watched videos of Lapland, the beauty of the Northern Lights, tasted reindeer jerky! Photos of our long lost cousins were a welcome opportunity to inspire us for another trip back to the Homeland.
I even baked scorpa (Scandinavian biscotti) in honor of our wonderful reunion!

No comments: